Road Trip Day 24 - 2007-08-12

Here's a map of my route for today, 944 miles!
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=berkeley,+ca&daddr=gallup,+nm&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=42.901912,82.617188&ie=UTF8&z=6&om=1

Check out the pictures I took today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10306971@N03/sets/72157601410279993/

So I got up around 8:00 today, said goodbye to Paul and then hit the road. Unfortunately, there is not much more to report than that. I was on the road from 8:30am till 11:30pm. I was shooting to make it to Albuquerque, and almost made it. I am now in Gallup, NM which is about 100 miles west of Albuquerque, leaving me with an acceptable 13 hour drive for tomorrow, which was my goal.

I stopped for lunch at this little burger joint that looked like it wasn't a chain. I asked for a bacon double cheeseburger and ended up with a single, non-bacon cheeseburger, but at least they remembered to leave off the tomatoes and onions. It turns out that was plenty of food anyway, and I didn't really need the bacon all that much.

For dinner I went to Jack in the Box, which was a place I liked to go to back when I lived in Arizona. I like to go into places, rather than drive-through, but this place was swarming with flies to the point that I had to go eat out in my car. Other than that, the dining experience was fine: I had a spicy crispy chicken sandwich with curly fries. Not bad at all!

So now I'm staying in a Howard Johnson at some truck stop in Gallup, NM for only $30/night! Not too shabby. The place isn't spectacular, but it seems clean enough. My only concern is potential noise from the train, I heard one go by and when it honked its horn it was pretty loud, but I'll probably be able to sleep through it. Tomorrow I have a long way to drive, so I'll need a good rest.

No comments: